Protect your ID and personal info
Fraudsters may try to steal your purse or wallet, or your mail, to access personal info, like your ID or passport number, driver’s licence, payslip, municipal bills or bank statements.
They will try to use this info to assume your identity and open bank or retail accounts, loans or insurance policies in your name.
How to prevent ID theft
- Store personal and financial documents away safely
- Destroy or shred any confidential papers before throwing them away
- Don’t carry unnecessary information in your wallet or purse
- Create strong bank passwords and PINs
- Be aware when sharing, or using personal info or your accounts
- Never share any personal or baking info via email, SMS or telephone
- If your purse or wallet is lost or stolen, stop all your accounts immediately and alert the police